I went out to the garden the other morning to find signs of… an intruder!
It has rained and some of the footprints were especially deep, like something fairly heavy, and cloven-hoofed.
That liked to munch off the tops of my vegetable plants.
It was unmistakable, my white-tailed enemies had encroached upon my territory.
It was my fault, of course. I’d grown overconfident. I started by spraying my plants with a solution that made it look like, and smell like, there’d been a very bloody knifing in the vicinity. It was supposed to make the deer think that a predator was active in the area.
Then, after a few days of leaving the row covers open, and seeing no damage, I decided to give the plants a little room to grow up, by taking off the cold frame/row covers. The tomatoes had already begun creeping outside their little “tents.”
All was well for one night, but then there was a heavy rain, which may have washed away the bloodbath a bit. And that was when the devastation occurred. Actually, as devastation goes, it was pretty mild, for which I was very grateful. But I knew I had to do something differently — before the deer grew accustomed to browsing in the area.
Luckily, I had a back-up plan right in the garage.
So far, so good.