It’s 8:27 p.m. the night before Thanksgiving. My husband is peeling sweet potatoes and my feet are throbbing from standing up in the kitchen for hours. I hope I’m not speaking too soon in saying we’re in good shape for tomorrow. Here’s what’s on the menu for my very first Thanksgiving as chef:
- Fresh young 10 lb free range turkey, currently brining in the fridge
- Cranberry, apple and sausage stuffing (to be put together tomorrow). Based on this recipe.
- The classic green bean casserole, but with fresh (no cans!) ingredients (mostly assembled already)
- Candied sweet potatoes, complete with toasted marshmallow topping (This may be the only way our 3.5-year-old eats it.)
- Whole berry cranberry sauce (from a can — I can’t do EVERYTHING)
- Homemade dinner rolls (already ready, to be warmed tomorrow)
- Homemade vanilla ice cream, to be served with a pie that one of the guests is bringing (batter is ready for freezing tomorrow)
Wish me luck!